Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some LDS KML files

For years, in my spare time I have collected various data about LDS geography. I'm happy that as we prepare the Atlas of LDS History, I'll finally be able to put some of it to good use. In the mean time, people have requested some of it, which I'm happy to provide. Here are a couple, converted to KML files:
  • Stakes (as of November 2008). The color represents the locational accuracy. Black is at the stake center, dark blue is within a couple miles, and lighter blues are decreasingly certain.
  • Districts (as of November 2008). Since these are so transient, I haven't put as much effort into them, but it's a shot.

I welcome your comments and corrections. No, on second thought, don't send me corrections (unless they're really major); I don't have time to deal with them. Down the road, I have a research project for building a wiki-like website for group editing of GIS data. Then you can fix it yourself :-).

Below are the stakes in Google Maps. For some reason, it doesn't like the icons (exported from ArcGIS), and shifts everything up several pixels. Don't worry, it gets better (and more stakes appear) as you zoom in.

View Larger Map

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Brandon

Good to meet a fellow map geek. I thought you might like this site which has mashed up all of Wikipedia and Google Maps. Here's the map showing the notable places for LDS : http://maps.thefullwiki.org/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

Regards
Luke

Unknown said...

Sorry that URL was Church of Latter Day Saints map.

Cheers